Wednesday, August 19, 2015

KOTRI BARRAGE - referred back



Needs revision.  plz maintain paragraphing.  CHange intro, it should not be like a visit to Kotri,
Un-edited
Feature
KOTRI BARRAGE
SANOBER SHORO
ROLL NO 41
It was rainy season when my cousin from Lahore came to our home and asked me to visit Kotri Barrage with her. Being a residence of R.B.B Colony (Right bank Barrage)   I had visited the barrage many times, so I tried to escape but she was not letting me go easily, so I had to agree. “but on one condition”, I said , Dear  Laiba if you ask me, you have to treat me  ‘Palo’ ( a kind  of fish found in river Indus ) in lunch on your  expenses. By god she agreed happily. 
According her plan we headed towards Kotri Barrage in the morning. When we reached there I had a chance to meet an employee of irrigation department, who shared such information about the Kotri Barrage which I had never heard before that was the reason which compelled me to write about this Barrage. He kept adding into my knowledge the background of Kotri barrage. Kotri barrage, initially named as Ghulam Muhammad barrage. 
Completed in 1955, it is used to control water flow in the river Indus for irrigation purposes and flood control. It has discharge capacity of 875,000 cusecs. The barrage has a gate controlled weir type barrage with a navigation lock, it has 44 bays, each 60 feet (18cm) wide, the maximum flood level height of the barrage is 43, 1 feet. It was interesting to know the information about Kotri Barrage; I was getting interested in the information given by the person. When I turned I saw a canal and inquired about, he told us that Kotri Barrage feeds Fulleli, Pinyari and Karachi canals, it has been maintained by Sindh irrigation department. 
Now I realized that it was great to come here, although I have been there before, but never had a chance to know about history and purpose of Kotri Barrage.. I had no information or idea about this barrage, before this visit. My cousin laiba was getting bored but I didn’t cared for her and kept on listening to the employee. He further told me that many of the political personalities also visited Kotri Barrage. In 2010 former president Asif Ali Zardari also visited during high flood. 
I was shocked when he shared few incidents happened on Kotri barrage, in which “Mathno Otho” (employee in Sindhology department) and a political leader “Irfan Mehdi” committed suicide, I was saddened to listen that this picnic point has been the suicide point as well. Laiba whom I almost forgot that she was with me and we came here to visit. 
Irritated with my behavior she asked me to stop it, she wanted to eat because she was quite hungry. We went to restaurant near by Almanzar. We saw a huge crowd sitting there having lunch. I observed majority of them were young couples. Most of them were having photography some of them selfies and all that. 
After having a delicious lunch of “Palo” we saw huge crowd of people, with loud music coming near towards Almanzar, somebody told me it was the river’s day, every year people gather here and celebrate.  We also joined them and celebrated it very well. It was fantastic to have such surprises. As importance of the visit, Kotri barrage has its own feature, cold winds of this area are sufficient enough to attract visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment